Thursday, March 12, 2015

Cleaning Chrome

I know I am not the only one who has worn a plastic rain suit while riding and had the leg touch the hot chrome of the tailpipe. I have always had a difficult time getting it to come off.



I've posed the question on several forum type places online and gotten many different suggestions;

Ajax with a dab of water to make a paste
Chrome polish
Plastic putty knife
0000 steel wool
Toothpaste

While not being willing to try things that I thought might scratch the chrome, nothing I did try seemed to work. Finally, I stopped in a bike shop I hadn't been in before and asked what they suggest. Their suggestion was, after letting it run to get warm, ball up some aluminum foil and just rub it right off.
So, today I went for a 20 mile ride while the power company turned off the whole neighborhood to do some kind of update to something or other. When I got home, while she was still nice and warm, I grabbed the foil and whaddyaknow...that muck came right off! Now all I need to do is get the buffer out and polish all the chrome so she sparkles!

No comments:

Post a Comment